[AmazonSteeringCte] Alder St. project

Tree Bressen tree at treegroup.info
Wed Mar 13 17:16:14 CDT 2019

Hi Reed,

Greetings and well wishes.  I live at 2662 Alder St.  I haven't been
at the Amazon meetings on the bikeway project, but have looked at
what was distributed today on the neighborhood email list.

Overall i am happy this project is happening.  While i'm sure there
will be some interim hassle as with any project of this nature, i
appreciate the benefits of traffic-calming and support bicycle
infrastructure.  (I'm also a "full-time" bicyclist, that is, i do not
own a car.)  Here are my questions:

1. Can you share a few more details about the speed humps?  Will they
have gaps for bikes to pass through without getting bumped?  And will
they be of the long, smooth variety rather than the shorter, more
abrupt variety?  Perhaps you could point me to an existing speed hump
nearby of the same type you are envisioning, so i can take a look.

2. I'm wondering about the curb extensions at 25th.  What is the goal
with that?  I recall something sort of like that nearby (i think it's
on 33rd between Hilyard & Willamette, or maybe 31st) that sticks out
in an odd manner, it probably does slow down cars but i also feel
tense every time i approach it on a bicycle, like if my attention
were to wander for a moment i could easily hit the curb straight on
and fall.  It seems like this will be different from that because it
starts at the intersection and not before, but i'm also wondering if
it puts bicyclists more into the path of cars rather than less?  The
one at 24th works ok because no cars are allowed to enter there, but
i'm not as confident about adding such a feature at 25th.  Maybe you
could point me to an existing nearby example to look at of how this would work?

3. I am also curious why our street is being repaved when there are
many other streets in town that need it a lot worse?  I imagine we
will benefit, it just seems inequitable.

Thank you,

--Tree Bressen

Tree Bressen

Website:  www.treegroup.info