[AmazonSteeringCte] Fw: use of Amazon Neighbors listserv

Randy Prince randyprince24 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 29 16:07:46 CDT 2019

Hi Lindsay,

Here is the report I made to Amazon Steering Committee regarding the policies I have been following as Admin of our two email listservs.  This could and probably should be edited into a document to be posted on our website.  As admin, I tried to follow what was customary in the past as well as my view that regarding our Steering Committee listserv,  business and discussions conducted electronically are public records.  Many persons, yourself included, have been added to our Steering Committee email list without being official members, when participating in its work and discussions.  This helps us recruit new official members (as you became) and keep former official members (such as yourself) informed enough to continue to share their knowledge.

As explained at the end, this particular communication wasn't posted to the Steering Committee list due to exceptional circumstances--some members were too distrustful/lacking information about our list that they refused to use it. So I sent it their way to show I understood they had concerns.  We didn't vote on these policies one way or another; this is not the only time the SC has come to an apparent agreement but neglected to hold an official vote at a meeting, which is something to avoid.  But since I was officially designated email admin by our annual election, these are the rules I have set, subject to the will of the body.

As mentioned in the beginning of the email, I didn't make any explicit statement about what is private or public in Steering Committee business.  I will say that I don't believe it is necessary for a few individuals who are tasked with a job, or preparing a proposal for the entire group, to archive their email discussions or record their phone calls for the sake of complying with open meeting laws.  Also, we follow the HRNI (Human Rights and Neighborhood Involvement) guidelines about releasing personal information on Steering Committee members...only one contact for the group is posted online by the City, names of members are available on request/checking minutes online but contact information for individual members is only provided by them.

If and when we prepare a document describing our email policies, I will advocate having some general goals stated, such as: including all neighbors in our business when they wish to be involved or kept informed; insuring our discussions are potentially available to all city residents, in particular those involved in neighborhood associations; having our electronic communications be as useful and desired as possible by the recipients; and help us recruit participants for our work on behalf of the neighborhood.

Thank you for your continued interest in the Amazon Neighborhood Association!

Randy Prince
ANA Steering Committee, Email Admin
541-345-3306